Should This Concern Me?

In each elevator at work there is a small metal box within which you can find the elevator's Certificate of Registration. This is given by some sort of Labor & Liscensing Something Or Other. I just looked at it roughly thirty seconds or so ago, and I've forgotten already. Such is my short-term memory.

The certificate looks like this:



It really is in all of them, I just happened to be in elevator #6. Which is ironic, as there are exactly six elevators. That might not be ironic. Still, though, the position of the elevator I used would not occur to me as #6. I would see it as #3, I think.

Be that as it may, on each certificate, in the lower-ish right there is an Expiration Date. We all know our car registration expires, so it seems only proper that elevator registrations would have the capacity to do so as well. Below is a picture of the Expiration Date. This date applies to each elevator, not only The Illustrious #6.



Sorry if it's hard to read, but I only had my cellphone camera handy, as I am not in the habit of bringing in an actual camera to work. Women don't tend to take their shirts off at work, so who needs a camera?

The date reads: 11/23/2006.

This elevator's certificate has been expired since November of last year. Does the owner(s) of our building simply not care that we are now and have been riding around in unregistered deathtraps since the 23rd of last November? This, to me, shows an exorbitant amount of lethargy and blatant disregard for our safety, as well as make a mockery of everything an elevator's Certificate of Registration is about.

Are you legally allowed to drive a car without registration? If the elevator gives way and crashes to bottom, who gets sued?

Please, everyone. Take a look at your elevator's certificate of registration and make sure it's up to date.

Only you can prevent forest fires. Thanks for listening.

Comments

Mrs. Simon said…
Thank God someone else feels the same way I do about elevator safety! I myself and worried about the expired certification for the elevators in my apartment building. Do you happen to know how to report expired certificates to a housing authority?
Cwazola said…
No idea. I do know that they have been updated. Although, I'm not sure how much good that will do as the updated registration only lasts until June or so. Then only a few more years before new ones!

Popular posts from this blog

The Road To Betrothal and Beyond.

A Case Study: Blue Thunder vs. Airwolf