How Big The Trees Are.

I was over one of Nichole's friends' house the other evening, standing on his back deck and chatting with a few of her other friends. One of them, John, made a random comment of the size of the trees. This is not a direct quote, as it was from Friday night and the quality of my memory does not last that long, but it was something like:

"Have you noticed how big the trees are?"

That simple question had never crossed my mind, and I don't know why. I've lived in the Columbia area for pretty much my whole life. With the exception of a combined 8 years on the eastern shore, I have lived in this area. For those unfamiliar with my personal geography, Columbia is basically a suburb of Baltimore. Roughly 15-20 minutes outside of the city.

It didn't hit me much when it came up, probably because it was around 10pm or so. The next day, though, Nichole and I were driving around and looking at houses for sale. I would like to be able to move into my own home by this time next year-ish, so we were just looking around, seeing what we liked and what would be a good fit. As we were driving by my old neighborhood, I decided to take a spin around, just for old times' sake.

Damned if the trees weren't big. Seriously, I've never thought about time passing. You think, Man, it's been 12 years since I graduated high school, or I remember you when you were this big, or Really? No winning season in ten years?

That kind of thing seems to be how we relate to a large amount of time passing. If you really want a feel of time passing, go look at the trees around where you grew up. It's almost daunting. Those things were huge. They were big when I was little, and now they're gigantic. All of them. All around the townhouses and by the creek and in the woods.

Big trees. Time flies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road To Betrothal and Beyond.

Should This Concern Me?

A Case Study: Blue Thunder vs. Airwolf