New Mexico. Cow Creek Ranch.

Cow Creek Ranch is located right outside of a small New Mexico town called Pecos. I don't think there is a stop-light in the entire town. There is a few stop signs, I know that much. Also, they take credit cards. I know this because I bought beer right before heading to the ranch. Can't fish without beer. Seriously, it's in the Fishing By-Laws. That I made up.

When heading to the ranch from Pecos, you drive up to a dirt road, onto the dirt road, and follow it for about 45 minutes through the mountains up to the ranch. Even once you pass the Cow Creek gate, you still have about 10 minutes of dirt road to traverse. It is an enjoyable ride, but make sure you're rolling with 4 wheel drive because there are some serious divots to work around. A few scenic moments when you hit the top and work your way down, but mainly it's just a lot of forest and several sequestered houses that you will wish you owned because it would be awesome to live in the woods and not have anyone bother you with things like work and bills and as long as I'm dreaming I'd like a pony.

The ranch house is essentially one large building divided into sections. The main part of the house has the dining room, a nice living room area to hang out in, and a good sized back porch for relaxation and night-time cigar smoking/beer drinking. Which we enjoyed each of the nights.

Attached to the house is a long building, shaped like an L. It is where the rooms are found, ten of them in all, I believe. Some of them are one double bed, some have a couple singles, some are two doubles. Some share a bathroom, some have their own. There is no small fridge or anything like you would find in a hotel room, but the main house has a fridge for your stuff, plus they provide small coolers to keep the brew outside of your room. Handy.

Across the way from the main house are the stables and a smaller house occupied by the employees of the ranch. Some of them stay there the whole summer, with occasional trips to civilization, I'm sure. Otherwise they could have a serious All Work And No Play problem on their hands.

Surrounding the ranch, mountains. Looking at them, you get the feeling that something is not right, though. Something seems missing, or there should be more. And you would be correct. Sometime in the year 2000, there were massive forest fires throughout the range. The damage then must have been spectacular, because the area is definitely still recovering and will be for quite a while. Many of the trees are barren, and many still hold the burnt scars from the fire. Apparently, the ranch began larger as there was another house behind it, which was consumed by the fire.

Still, it didn't take away from the view, but rather augmented it somewhat. Like if you were looking at what was and thinking of what it would be.
The ranch is run by a lady by the name of Lenier. If I am not spelling that right, you don't know the difference so just go with it and stop complaining. She is almost 30. Yes, that's correct. 30 years old. Did you know I'm 30 too? And did you also know that I do not own a ranch in New Mexico? Nope, not even a shack. Actually, her father still owns it, she just runs the place. But still, one day she will own it.

And when that day comes, I will win it from her in a game of sabacc.

She will later betray me to the Empire. She won't have a choice, though, they will have arrived just before I did.

The ranch provides almost everything. It's awesome. If you don't have fishing gear, they have plenty of stuff you can use. Why you wouldn't have any fishing gear when going on a fishing trip is beyond me, but there you go. I've been over the meals, but there is always something to snack on if the need hits. In the main house, they have a small bar area where they will keep your beer or liquor with a little name tag so as to avoid any confusion when three people all bring six packs of PBR.

The little outside fire pit is great. We all pulled up chairs, fired up the cigars and cracked open the brews. Definitely the highlight of the night after a long day of fishing.
The best part of the trip might have to be the company. It was great how everything worked out. The group was made up of:

Dad, Myself


Dave and his dad George



Chris and his dad Tom

The cool thing about this is the connection here. My parents moved into our first house when I was a couple months old. I think we were the first of the group. Soon after, Dave and his family moved into the neighborhood and I think Chris's family was next. I know I met Dave when I was 11 months and he was 8 months old. Roughly. I'm not sure when I met Chris exactly, but I don't remember ever not knowing him, so there you go. These are the folks we go Christmas tree hunting with every year. We do a chili night after that where we eat chili and exchange gifts. Dave's Mom babysat me more than any of my relatives did. So basically, I got to go to New Mexico with part of my extended family.

Real male bonding, and we didn't even need strippers. We did need beer, but not strippers. Also, there was an exorbitant amount of flatulence. Since we were wearing waders, the farts would kind of get trapped in them, so when we went to take off the waders you kind of got a second blast. If you timed it right, you could let that second blast out right around another guy and let him enjoy the ride, too.

Sorry about the last part, but this blog was way too straight-forward and semi-serious. It didn't have many joke moments, so I felt a light hearted adolescent jaunt through the beauty of a good fart would help bring me back down to the level I usually occupy.

So ends my New Mexican blogs. I'll be back to the mindless drivel I know and love soon enough. Thanks for listening, and if you get the chance to head out there someday, buy me a ticket too. I'll roll with.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We just returned from a stay at the Cow Creek Ranch. Yes the fishing is wonderful. Yes the ranch hands are very warm and friendly. Accomodations...pretty poor!! No charm in a dusty shabby room. Sorry, not a first class accomodation. The hot breakfast was served buffet style and almost always cold. The dinner main emtree was very small. Limited selection and no veggies with entrees. Come on..we are all trying to eat better and enjoy ourselves at the same time. Location...beautiful. If you got ill, you would have to be airlifted out, as the 45 minute drive on a rutted windy unpaved road was treacherous. We paid for a 5 star fishing lodge. Unfortunately, that is not what we received. We would not come back and would rather stay in Yellowstone National Park.
Cwazola said…
Yeah, I'm sorry, I just can't agree. The dinners all filled me up and I found them delicious. The rooms I found small, yet perfect for what we were doing. There is no need for a luxury suite on a fly fishing ranch, when the only time you are in your room is to dress, use the bathroom, and sleep. Otherwise, you should be ankle-to-upper-thigh deep in water. The remote location is part of the appeal. You knew beforehand you would be in the absolute middle of nowhere, so if there was concern over getting sick, this place is not for you anyway.

But I digress, as you are 100% entitled to your opinion. Luckily, since this is my blog, I am even more entitled to mine. You are wrong, you have always been wrong, and you will always be wrong.

Unless you're right, in which case I may have misspoke.

Popular posts from this blog

The Road To Betrothal and Beyond.

Should This Concern Me?

A Case Study: Blue Thunder vs. Airwolf